The Parish Church of Saint Mark is a Grade two listed building in Winshill, a suburb of Burton on Trent which lies on the South Derbyshire side of the River Trent. The church was financed by and built at the request of its patron, John Gretton, Esq., (of brewers Bass, Ratcliffe and Gretton) on land supplied by the Marquis of Anglesey. The church is sited on a prominent hill named “Wheadley Nob”, this exposed position within the area of Winshill makes the church clearly visible to many of the population.
The church was completed in 1869 and its consecration took place on 13th September, 1869. Although it now lies within the boundaries of the diocese of Derby, it was part of the diocese of Lichfield when built, and between 1884 and 1927 it was part of Southwell diocese. The service of consecration was performed on behalf of the Bishop of Lichfield by William Garden, the Lord Bishop of Auckland, New Zealand. The present patron is Lady Gretton who still takes an interest in St. Mark’s.
St Mark’s church was designed by Edwin Holmes of Birmingham and is in the early decorated Gothic style with geometric tracery, nave and aisles, chancel and south west tower with broach spire.